The EU executive released at on Sunday its answers to 134 questions asked by MEPs as part of an investigation by the European Parliament’s budgetary control committee over alleged irregularities in Martin Selmayr’s controversial appointment last month.
Selmayr, who was the head of cabinet of commission president Jean-Claude Juncker, was appointed on 21 February.
In its replies to MEPs, the commission insisted that the decision to move Selmayr to the institution’s top administrative position was taken “unanimously” by the college and that it followed the same procedure as for the appointment his three predecessors since 2000.
It said that the proposal to move Selmayr was not discussed before the college meeting, even among commissioners’ heads of cabinet, “in accordance to normal practice and in order to safeguard the necessary degree of confidentiality”.
It also argued that Selmayr’s move as secretary general was not a “promotion” but a “transfer in the interest of service” because he already held the AD15 administrative grade.
The commission also added that his appointment had “a negative effect on his salary and emoluments.”
“Selmayr will not step down because I’m the only one being capable to ask him to step down,” Juncker told reporters at a EU summit last week.